Tuesday 4 May 2010

Rome's #1100 Old Fashioned Waffle Iron, Cast Iron Reviews

Rome's #1100 Old Fashioned Waffle Iron, Cast Iron Reviews
Other products by Rome Industries Ratting 4.0 Out of 5.0 Special Offer Total New 1 Total Use 0


Read More From Here Now

With a nod of nostalgia, Rome's cast iron waffle iron is based on the traditional style that grandma used to use. Designed for gas burner stoves and camping stoves. 6.75" diameter cooking surface x 10" overall length. Made by Rome Industries - a family camping specialty company that has been making the Original Pie Iron sandwich cooker since 1964.

Technical Details

- Traditional Waffle Iron
- Perfect For Gas Burner Stoves and Two Burner Camp Stoves
- Cast Iron Construction
- Makes 6 inch Diameter Waffles
See more technical details
Customer Buzz
"Best crispy waffles ever!" 2010-04-29
By Paul H. Wyand (Plattakill, NY)
I bought one and seasoned the pan on the burner top. I did not have the option of doing it in an oven as it was out of commission at the time. I first heated it a bit, then I scrubbed in some dish soap and poured boiling water over it in a dish pan and scrubbed it under the boiling water as well as I could. I think perhaps a few times in the dishwasher and the wax coating would have come off. I put it back on the burner on low and it smoked a bit, but once it stopped smoking, I put a generous coat of Crisco. I let it sit on the lowest flame I could keep going for about 2 hours. I added a bit of Crisco when it started looking dry. Then I let it cool on the burner after I turned it off. The next day I made stick free crispy waffles! I made my standard mix from Joy of Cooking. I did not have any buttermilk, but I used slightly sour milk and they were great Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside! They are a bit smaller than my electric one makes, but they are much better than the electric can make and no non stick poison to worry about!

Customer Buzz
"crispy and evenly browned" 2010-04-11
By VSP (Port Saint Lucie FL USA)
I had this in my "To Buy" List, here at Amazon, but I actually purchased it while waiting for my fly-fisherman husband to make his selections in a local camping store. It was on display, where I determined I would use it with the handle mitts I have been using when we go camping.
I originally bought this when I was using a glass cook top, where I handled it very gingerly. When I moved, there was a gas cook top, so I included this in my box to set up housekeeping, till the electric iron arrived. Medium-low and slow heat and brushing it with melted shortening has produced nice, crispy, standard size waffles. Once, I even separated the two parts and made two waffles at once, flipping them when they were just-set on top.
My only problem was with the handles, They could be improved by being slightly longer, with wood on the ends.
I expect this one to outlast my electric Belgian waffle iron. I still use it, on days when I want to crank the waffles out twice as fast, the thinner ones are my personal favorite.


Customer Buzz
"Great waffles for the price" 2010-03-12
By T. Brooks (Crab Orchard, TN)
I ordered this waffle iron because I didn't want an electric one and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I only crave occasionally. I seasoned the pan according to the mfg directions, heated on med heat for a few minutes, poured in the batter, flipped it over after about 4 minutes, cooked another 2-3 minutes, and voila! Perfect waffles! It also makes great cornbread waffles. I like it a lot and would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

Customer Buzz
"Campy" 2010-02-23
By Technical Reader (Washington, DC)
I am a big fan of cast iron and traditional waffles (not a fan of Belgian-sized irons). This looked to be the perfect match.

Not so much.

The iron is really too small to work on a stove top. The handles get amazingly hot and there is really no nice way to move it around. Also, any over-drip from the batter ends up dropping into the stove.

I think this started as a "Camp Iron" but is being marketed as a kitchen tool. They need a serious redesign to make this useful for at-home waffles.

We have found another use for it, though: it is a great weight for brick chicken in our other cast-iron pans.

Customer Buzz
"NOT GOOD FOR SMOOTHTOP ELECTRIC RANGES" 2010-02-14
By Nozama
This product doesn't work well for smoothtops, because the handles are so low to the rangetop surface that you won't be able to grab them with oven mits on. And the handles, being cast iron, do get hot. I really wanted this to work, but after one try, it's too ungainly and too messy to bother with.

Also, it's a complete pain in the @** to remove the paraffin coating and then cure the cast iron. You're going to smoke up your kitchen and create a long-lasting, acrid burnt smell. No idea why they couldn't just pre-cure it like the skillets you can buy at Williams Sonoma.

It's probably fine for outdoor cooking or possibly on an indoor gas range.

FYI, it's also made in China.

Attention, manufacturers: There is a HUGE market out there for a cast-iron or enamel electric waffle iron that is free of teflon and of a decent size!


Images Product

Read more Rome's #1100 Old Fashioned Waffle Iron, Cast Iron

Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO